“I know it doesn’t look like it affected my tennis, but especially in the sun, playing with a migraine makes it worse”
SERENA WILLIAMS (Tennis Player)
Headaches, particularly migraines, are a common health issue that we see at Ayutherapy. Migraines are far too commonplace, whether it’s in a busy parent, a worried teenager, or an elderly relative. Taking a pain reliever to numb the discomfort is frequently our initial response. While this technique has virtues, it does not address the core source of the problem. Our approach to dealing with health-related concerns in Ayurveda is to treat the underlying cause, to discover where the problem is rooted, and to treat it accordingly. If you or a loved one suffers from migraines, this post will give you an idea of how Ayurveda addresses the problem and provide you with 11 simple home remedies to try at your leisure!
What is a Migraine?
A migraine headache is characterized by throbbing, moderate to severe pain on one side of the head that is aggravated by physical activity, light, sounds, or scents, and is often accompanied by nausea and vomiting. Migraine is a primary headache problem that occurs on a regular basis. Symptoms persist up to 72 hours and can be severe.
- Throbbing pain is often felt on one side of the head. Pain can range from mild to severe and incapacitating.
- The headache may be aggravated by physical exertion, light, sounds, or scents.
- Nausea and vomiting are common side effects of the headache.
- A migraine headache isn’t always the only symptom of a migraine. A prodrome, aura, and postdrome are all possibilities. The prodrome is a shift in mood or behavior that can occur up to 24 hours before the main migraine attack. People may feel melancholy, elated, impatient, or restless as a result of their experiences.
- It is also possible to have nausea or a loss of appetite.
- Auras are felt by approximately 20% of people. The aura is characterized by reversible visual, sensory, balance, mobility, and speech problems.
- People frequently experience jagged, shimmering, or flashing lights, as well as a blind zone with flickering edges.
- Tingling sensations, loss of balance, weakness in an arm or leg, and difficulties speaking are less prevalent.
Typical Causes of Migraines:
The names of certain foods and beverages that frequently contribute to the onset of migraines may surprise you. Onions, citrus fruits, dairy products, baked goods, some nuts and seeds, and processed, fermented, or pickled items are all examples. Caffeine, wine, chocolate, and nitrate-containing meat are also contributors (e.g. bacon, hot dogs, salami, cured meats).
Here are some simple home remedies that you can try to address migraines:
- Apply/massage clove oil on forehead.
- Apply/massage warm ghee to the forehead.
- Apply dry ginger powder (mix a little water to make paste) paste onto the forehead.
- Make nasal drops from warmed ghee or castor oil or ginger juice extract. Apply 5 drops into each nostril before bed.
- Soak both legs and feet into warm salt water for 15 minutes.
- Drink a glass of warm milk with a tablespoon of ghee mixed in.
- Drink coconut water.
- Place a pinch of salt on the tongue and leave it. Drink a cup of cold water after 10 minutes.
- Yoga: Try Sun Salutations, Corpse Pose.
- Breathing: Alternative nostril breathing, Ujjayi victorious breath.
- Mudra: Praną & Gyana Mudra.
Other General Tips:
- Avoid or minimize caffeine, alcohol, direct sunlight, wear sunglasses or a hat when in the sun.
- Minimize stress & anxiety if headaches are associated with these.
- Try to get 8 hours sleep per night.
- Seek hormonal balance if the pain is occurring just before your period.
- Loud sounds, extended screen time and too much talking should be avoided.
I have tried to provide you some simple, migraine-relieving methods in this post. They should be effective, but migraines can be a difficult, persistent customer. With this in mind, if you or a loved one is having trouble coping, our work at Ayutherapy can provide you with a number of tailored solutions to help you enhance your quality of life. A Herbal Regimen, Panchakarma Program, Shirodhara Treatment, Basti, Shiro Abhyanga Massage, or something else could be used to treat migraines and/or the underlying issues and my team and I would be delighted to help you relieve your pain and get back to your best!
At Ayutherapy – Our primary purpose and mission is to heal, and heal naturally promoting harmony between mind, body, spirit and mother nature. We offer a full array of authentic Ayurveda services including consultations both in-person at our center in Danville or virtually.
~ Vaidya Archana Rao, B.A.M.S.
“After searching for different doctors to cure my severe headaches for about 5 years, I finally came across Dr. Archana Rao. It was amazing how quickly she found the root cause of my condition. I had headaches 24/7 before. However, when the treatment was finally over, I could rarely ever feel any pain. I 100% recommend Dr. Archana. She definitely changed my life and no doubt she will change yours too”
S. GUPTA (Google Review)